« Home | I have always said that British children were ill ... » | More on religion, this bears repeating and I can't... » | Msgr. Luigi Giussani, the founder of the Communion... » | Word of the Day: BLOGOTRY Its a new word meaning... » | I hate the UN. For a lot of reasons, and as usual ... » | NO! NO! NO! He cannot do this. He just can't. W... » | There is a story in the London Times today about a... » | The British magazine the Spectator has an interest... » | Latest British outrage: BRITAIN'S le... » | Now I knew when I moved to England that there were... »

First of all, let me unequivocally state that I am opposed to abortion activists using violence in any way to further their cause. For a variety of reasons, including the following:

a) It is morally wrong
b) It is illegal.
c) It doesn't work; its actually counter productive as it turns people against the cause and makes it easier for pro-abortionists to dismiss pro-lifers as crazy, irrational zealots.

Now that the disclaimers have been issued, I was pretty happy to see this as the lead article in the London Times this morning.

"Abortion clinics said last night that they feared a rise in US-style anti-abortion tactics and are being especially vigilant. Marie Stopes said that small groups of protesters already picket some of its clinics, blocking pregnant women as they attempt to enter and thrusting leaflets into their hands."

It goes on to talk about Christian Voice which it calls a fundamentalist group who is going to "target" abortion clinics. I said it before, but it bears repeating because I don't want anything to be misconstrued here, I don't think pro-life activists should kill people to make their point. And I don't even think I like Christian Voice, though I can't say definitively because I haven't had any real contact with them and I only know what I read in the press, which obviously doesn't like the organization.

But back to my point, it is good to see that there might be some sort of a debate emerging on the subject of abortion. Its something that seems to be completely accepted in the UK, there is no public discourse on the matter, despite the rising abortion rates. (There were 181,600 abortions in 2003, over 1,000 of which were girls under the age of 14.) I don't call this place the God-forsaken island for purely trivial reasons (although some of the reasons are not all that high minded, like the bad weather and lack of good gummy candy).

Britain has the lowest church attendance rate of any developed country in the world. Only 3% of its population is Muslim and yet more people attend Friday prayers than Sunday services. This in a country which once felt so strongly about its religion (or was it the divorce of its monarch) that it started its own religion and went to war over the whole thing. Even the presumed future head of the Anglican church is set to be married in a civil ceremony this spring.

All I'm saying is it would be nice for the Brits to at least question the abortion practices, debate is healthy and things don't have to be this way.

Also, Europeans in general might want to revisit the issue of abortion if for no other reason than they can't afford to lose this many people a year given their already declining birth rates. They are further crippling their nice welfare states one immoral act at a time.

Links to this post

Create a Link